I got a head start on the next round pf ROW80 which is supposed to begin April 7. I don’t like to think of myself as being too late for the game. I put in goals for the next week, forgetting it would be better to do things for the half week. So, aside from goal #2, everything should be halved. I should really have had no problem meeting my goals during Spring Break, right? /whistles innocently. Lets see how I did on my goals.
My ROW80 Goals beginning this week:
- I will work on editing my novels. I have neglected editing for too long. I will spend at least 5 hours this week on editing.
- I should have gotten in 2.5 hours editing. I got in, at most, 45 minutes to an hour. Excuses will be made later.
- Limit Blog Time. I have already given up Facebook for Lent in order to work on promoting my blogs. I will limit that work to 90 minutes or less per day.
- I did pretty good at limiting my blog time. I would say I was at about 90 minutes per day – after Wednesday. (But see excuses for not making my goals that will explain this.)
- New writing. I will engage in 2 hours this week of new writing. New writing may be anything from #5MinuteFiction to song writing to work on a novel or prep work for Nano 2014. (I won’t count editing the other books as prep work even if it is a series and I am doing my world building!)
- If sitting and staring at a blank spot on the file where the new writing is supposed to be counts I came close to the half way mark on this goal. I had almost an hour of new writing and trying to write – but did not get a lot down on paper. Songs/poems are a lot harder to write. Especially the third verse!
Excuses – I told you they were coming. As my pastor noted this morning in his sermon, the excuses may be good excuses, but they are still excuses.
- Grading. I had all kinds of grading I needed to get done this week, so that took away some of the time I would have spent on writing. That, however, is not a blanket excuse because I didn’t get all my grading done.
- My photography hobby. I spent a lot of time working on my photography and editing. I should have spent some of that time writing. I love bird photography and had an amazing time at the local bird sanctuary the day before I started. Lots of editing that needed to be done! (And that kind of editing I REALLY enjoy!) (A new goal is being created for this.)
- Family time. Some days, the family needs time together. For a variety of reasons, that became an issue this week. My wife deserved some of my best time. That will happen again.
Accomplishments – Even with the excuses I did accomplish a few things.
- I did get a little more written on the new song I am working on. Poetry is not my normal forte, but I am enjoying the work.
- I did see more traffic on my Devotional Blog. I don’t count the new writing I do every day for that in the above goal. I write about 15-20 minutes every day for that blog and I began building traffic and meeting some new people this week. I also met a number of new people on this writing blog. (Thanks to all of you who stopped by!)
- Lots of photo editing/categorizing.
- I actually opened up the NANO 2012 novel and got some editing/rewriting done. I have been working on editing/rewriting the opening. I’ll put the original and the beginning of the rewrite here. Please feel free to criticize and or make suggestions
All in all, #ROW80 gave me a kick start to get back to what I really want to do. Thanks for that!
|Seppe’s nose wrinkled as he looked at the body lying in the dark alley. He couldn’t remember seeing any other victim hacked up as bad as this one. It was gruesome and he recoiled a little in disgust. Seppe looked at his partner, Aiden, and shook his head. Aiden was a twenty-five cycle veteran of the Wesdanian Police Force and was looking at retirement before the disbanding process had started. Aiden, veteran that he was, was still very queasy. Seppe wasn’t doing much better himself and wondered how the crowd might react if he let his stomach take control. He silently fought back against the waves of nausea as they continued to survey the scene.
The stiff’s head had been severed from the body and had been thrown violently against the wall under the fire escape on the west side of the alley. The main part of the torso was splayed against the trash cans belonging to the Kroll Rader Bar and Grill. Both legs were cut off at the knees: one foot was about ten meters south of the body; the other foot was close to the fire escape as if it had been used to dropkick his own head. The left arm was partly severed and the body lay on top of it. His right arm was extended as if he had seen the attack coming at the last minute and had been surprised by his attacker. Blood was spattered everywhere.
|Seppe looked to the eastern sky as Darwinda rose over the Wesdanian skyline. The silver light from the second moon combined with the golden glow from Granset, the first moon, and made navigation around the streets of Wesdania simple. Seppe loved this time of night and took in all the beauty as he absent-mindedly moved his hand up to stroke his tendrils. Then he sighed. The smell reminded him that it was time to get to the ugliness of his work. The body waited.He turned his gaze back towards the waiting body. And the blood. Blood was spattered everywhere just like the body parts were. Seppe had never seen a body in such a wretched condition. That and the overwhelming smell of the fresh kill made him gag. He fought back the urge before his partner could see him. It wouldn’t do to wretch before a 25 cycle veteran.He needn’t have worried. When he looked over at Aiden, Seppe noted that Aiden looked a little queasy himself. Seppe wondered how the crowd might react if he let his stomach lose control. He didn’t like the idea and silently fought back against the waves of nausea as he and Aiden continued to survey the scene.
The stiff’s head had been severed. Someone had thrown it violently against the wall under the fire escape on the west side of the alley. The main part of the torso was splayed against the trash cans belonging to the Kroll Rader Bar and Grill. Both legs were cut off at the knees: one foot was about ten meters south of the body; the other foot was close to the fire escape as if it had been used to dropkick its own head. The left arm was partly severed and the body lay on top of it. His right arm was extended as if he had been surprised by his attacker and had only seen the attack coming at the last minute.
And then, just for grins – one of my photos:
I post my bird pics on my tumblr blog.
While all other goals remain the same, I am adding a Photography Goal – I will categorize (star and label) at least 100 pictures per week. I will fully edit at least 5 pics per week. (Some pics I categorize so I can find them later. I only edit the pics I really like.)
Here is the “Linky” site for other blogs in the #ROW80 challenge.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…